Thursday, June 26, 2014

Grilled Pizza

I did two types of pizza on the grill.  As with the previous post, I tried to come up with some way to use the zucchini that's taking over my kitchen so as I rolled out my dough, I had the grill heating.  I then sliced one small zucchini per pizza, placed them on non-stick tin foil (note that you can cover a metal pan with the tin foil which will make it easier to pick up once done) along with a couple slices of bacon and put it on the grill.

One pizza was a traditional pizza with red sauce I'd made earlier in the day, letting it plop in the pot and get nice and thick.  I spread the sauce on and chopped the rest of the veggies (onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, black olives, hot pepper), fresh herbs (basil and oregano) and cheese (fresh mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano).

Turn the bacon and flip each slice of the zucchini to get the other side browned.  Once they're both finished, carefully remove from the grill (be careful of the bacon grease - I suggest taking out something to pour the grease in after removing the bacon and the zucchini so you don't have to worry with spilling it).

I took the extra bacon grease and added it to a pan.  Once heated, I added some onions and then them simmer for awhile to get caramelized.  I added a couple slices of red bell pepper and a large garlic clove along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

I added the grilled zucchini to the tomato sauce and then topped with other veggies, herbs and cheese.  I put that pizza on the grill and turned it to low heat.

I then started on the next pizza.  My grill is only big enough for one pizza at a time.  I have one of those pizza pans with the holes in the bottom that I use to grill my pizzas.  I rolled out my dough.  Once the onions and peppers were nice and brown, I added a Tablespoon of butter and splash of olive oil.  Once incorporated, I spread this mixture onto the dough, added the zucchini, crumbled the bacon over it, added some sliced mushrooms.  I topped with tons of basil and oregano and slices of tomato and then the cheese.

The first pizza was ready so I removed it from the grill and then put the next one on.  I sliced the pizza and served it.  While we started on the first one, the second one was grilling.  Once it was finished, I topped it with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment