Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fried Bologna Sandwich

Sometimes you just need a fried bologna sandwich.  Every so often we'd have fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid.  We'd have them as a substitute for a normal breakfast when Mama was bored with it.  There were rules to them, however.  The bread was always toasted, the bologna always crisp, the bread only slathered with mustard and always had cheese.  I saw bologna on sale at the grocery store the other day and thought it was time for a fried bologna sandwich.  I have them a couple of times a year.  Today, I broke the rules.  I didn't have regular loaf bread so I pulled out what I had - some sliced sourdough.  I took a long slice and cut it in half.  I didn't have sliced american cheese so I carved off a few slabs of strong cheddar.  I did have the mustard but had a hankering for mayo so I put them both on the bread.  Mama always put three cuts in the bologna so I've always done the same.  That prevents it from bubbling up with a big cone in the center only allowing for the sides to be crisped.  I've resorted to using fat free bologna which doesn't crisp up as well and usually sticks to the non-stick pan but I've found the taste of bologna is a little more subtle.  I'm not a huge fan of bologna - only fried bologna sandwiches.  I put the slices in the pan and when they start to stick, it's time to flip them.  Once nice and brown, I put one slice on each piece of bread and then put the cheese on one half and close the sandwich up which puts the cheese in between the two slices of bologna.  I then put the sandwich in the hot pan and toast it on each side.  If using loaf bread, it's just as easy to put them in the toaster but since I was using sour dough, I didn't want it to get too tough from the toaster.  Once toasted, move to a plate and enjoy.  I had some sour cream and onion Pringles in the cupboard so I had those with it.  I wrapped the rest of the bologna for another day when I can't figure out what to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment