Monday, April 21, 2014

Sweet and Savory Breakfast

I had this at a breakfast joint I've been to a few times and after the first time, I had to have it again the next time I went.  Then it hit me, this is so simple to make, I can do it at home.  What is it?  It's herbed goat cheese on toast with jelly.  Sounds a bit odd for breakfast, I know but once you have it, you'll be hooked, I'm sure!  Next time you're at the grocery store, grab a small package of goat cheese.  Not too soft.  Get one that's firm and spreadable but not to creamy or it'll make your toast soggy.  Next, get your favorite bread.  Mine is sourdough.  Then your favorite jelly or jam.  Hopefully you have some fresh herbs outside.  If not, you need to grab those too.  I went out to the patio and snipped a bit of dill, oregano, basil, thyme and sage.  You don't need a lot, just enough to flavor the cheese a bit so don't buy a bunch of packages if you're buying it.  Just get your favorite.  After washing the herbs, chop them up nice and small.  Dump the cheese into a bowl and top with the herbs.  Smash with a fork while your toast is toasting.  Spread the jam on the toast and then top with the cheese.  If it's not the greatest thing you've had in awhile for breakfast, then use the bread for sandwiches or as a garnish to a salad that you can also use the cheese in.  But I hope you love it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment