Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pita-burg

No, I didn't take a trip to Petersburg, I made a burger in a pita!  I use Joseph's pitas because they're a little less in the fat department but are still hardy enough to stuff.  I keep them in the freezer and just pull them out and let 'em sit on the counter while I'm preparing the stuffing ingredients.  That's plenty of time to allow them to thaw.

I started out with some Boca Burgers.  Boca's are so great.  They come in a variety of flavors and are so much lighter than actual beef that it makes having a burger on a week-night a nice treat.  And yesterday was National Cheeseburger Day so I just had to make them!  I usually put them on the George Forman Grill but I had a handful of frozen french fries so I just put everything on a cookie sheet (with a sil pat) and popped it into a 400 degree oven.  Easy enough.  Be sure to use non-stick spray or non-stick foil if you don't have a sil pat.

I chopped some lettuce, grape tomatoes and onion.  Got out the low-fat mayo, ketchup and mustard.

Just when the fries were golden brown, I topped the burgers with slices of Cabot 50% less fat cheddar cheese just to melt.  Add the pitas to the oven for just a couple minutes.  You don't want them getting brittle because they'll fall apart but you want them warmed a bit.  You could also stick them in the microwave for a couple seconds if you prefer.  Once warmed, put a spread of each condiment on the inside of the pita.

By now, the cheese is melted.  Take the spatula and cut each burger in half.  Arrange in the pita pocket and then stuff full with the lettuce, tomato and onion.

Serve with fries or chips or just alone.  Super quick and easy and friendly on the waistline!

No comments:

Post a Comment